To maintain clear skin, old, rancid makeup must be avoided! Makeups have a built-in expiration date so if your favorite beauty product is past its prime, do not use it! Just don’t! It may start to build bacteria after a while once opened. Here’s a guide to know when your products are ready to be tossed out.
- Powders (including Blush, Bronzer, Eyeshadow) Good for 2years
- Oil-Free Liquid Foundations Good for 6-12 months.
- Cream to Powder Compact Foundation Good for 18months
- Liquid/Gel (Eyeshadows and Blushes) 1year
- Liquid Concealers Good for 12 months
- Concealer Stick or Cream Good for 2years
- Lipsticks Good for 1-2years
- Lipgloss Good for 18-24 months
- Liquid or Gel Eyeliner Good for 3 months
- Mascara Good for 2-3months or when it starts to dry out
- Makeup Sponges should be cleaned once a week and toss it after 2weeks
- Makeup Brushes should be cleaned once a week keep them clean to lengthen the life of your makeup
- Mineral based Powder MAkeup Good for 2-3years
- Nail Polish Good for 2years
- Lip balm Good for 1-2years
- Applicators (i.e eyeshadow applicators and powder sponges )change them often. Good for 3-6 months
If a product begins to smell funky, its time to toss it
If your nail polish begins to separate its time to toss it
Make sure to keep the caps on all your products secure always, after using
Always store your makeup in a cool dry place preferably a dark makeup bag
If you use your eyeliner, mascara or eyeshadow during an eye infection, trash it after to prevent another eye infection
Do not share your makeup! Especially any lip product to prevent bacteria and viruses like herpes!
Remember that old makeup doesn’t look as good as new! Simply put, use your makeup! After all, that’s why you bought it!